Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» dragon exchange, you get a dragon, you get a dragon...
Storm
 Posted: Feb 7 2015, 11:01 PM
Quote Post

Group: OOC Account
Member No.: 15

oKAY SO as you may or may not know, I'm an off and on participant in the dragonriders of pern fandom which is known for being v small and basically a constant bomb of drama ready to go off every time someone makes a site

however, I fucking love the dragons and the best part of being in the fandom is the hatchings when an admin writes up a dragon, made solely for your character and it's given to you and it's the best

and as it turns out, I'm not too bad at writing these for other characters!

so here's a quick rundown: you give me a character of yours and I will, given some allowance of time, write a dragon meant to match, complement or contrast them. there are different types of dragons and in canon they're... rather contentious so I'm just going to... ignore the more specific rules there. I'm going to go by the system of my own pern site, oowamid, and classify dragons by castes which roughly correspond to hierarchy, size, build and typical roles.

they start with queen at the top - matriarchs, the largest dragons who also have the ability to hold sway and command all the rest with strength of will. then kings, not capable of that same command but big and strong and often ambitious as fuck. the officers, also male, are the middle-weights, more streamlined and capable of speed as much as endurance, and often hold leadership positions based on efficiency and merit alone. the male knights and the female soldiers are the most numerous of the castes - slim, speedy, agile but lacking in stamina. there are also sport dragons who differ from the castes and who fall outside of that general hierarchy (don't ask why sport is the True Term for them, it's ingrained in the fandom I think)

all dragon names end in -th, they bond empathically and telepathically to their person - who is unequivocally theirs, basically a specific soulmate they were essentially born to be with.

idk there's probably a lot more detail I've skimmed or neglected to mention just because I'm so used to pern, so if you guys have any questions, just ask! I'll be putting up a dragon I did some time ago as an example of what I'm making such a big fuss about

also if you want to try this out for yourself, the only characters I'll refrain from making these for is my own roster so like, if you feel like it, you can do that??? mainly because ren wrote me a dragon once and it was amazing bUT YEAH ANYWAYS let's do this shit

--------------------
Current Roster
Amaterasu, Anise Tatlin, Hao Asakura

Claims
Father, Yuuko Ichihara
PM
^
Storm
 Posted: Feb 7 2015, 11:03 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 15

okay here's the example, this one's from like... over a year ago??? what the fuck??? stop time tbh

anyways I wrote this for ren

Psyche

Name: Aineth

Appearance: Aineth is dainty – probably daintier than a queen has any right to be, though she's still much longer and taller than most dragons. She moves with a neat, contained grace, always aware of where her tail and wings are and careful as to not hit anyone in the face with them. She's small for her caste, which means she's still pretty much one of the biggest dragons around – but she doesn't have a matching presence. Unless she needs to step up, she looks a bit smaller and more unobtrusive than she actually is.

In colour, she's such a pale gold that she's almost white. Her legs, tail and head all have twining, vine-like markings in a darker shade of gold, and her wings are that same, gently darker shade, which also branches out at the base of her wings in yet more delicate vines. Aineth is undoubtedly graceful, both in air and on the ground – and due to being slimmer than most queens, she's quite the swift flier as well.

Personality: There is likely no kinder dragon than Aineth. Psyche's empathy might be an ability, but Aineth has inherited the seeds of that same wish to understand what others are feeling and ease their pain. She works through Psyche a lot, picking up on the pain of others through her bonded and then doing her best to soothe them. She's not fitting of the queen stereotype – there's no haughtiness here, certainly no arrogance or vanity. Aineth just wants to ensure everyone around her is on an equal footing, and she'll give everything she has for that – just as her rider does.

She's also calm, in an unshakeable way – as far as she's concerned, no matter what happens, she will be a fixed point. When people are in pain, or despairing, what they need is shelter in the midst of a storm - and she will provide that, because who else and because there's nothing she wants more. She's implacably present, inquiring gently about how someone's feeling, quietly tending to the needs Psyche has made her aware of, always with the right words to say. She's not showy about what she does, or intrusive - if someone needs space she'll give it to them. She's also undeniably as quick to do this to Psyche as she and Psyche are to everyone else - the moment she senses her rider faltering or being overwhelmed, she'll do everything necessary to calm her down and give her what she needs until she feels better.

Some people can't be - or refuse to be helped, and Aineth hates realizing it. But she knows when someone is dangerous, when entangling her and her rider in their affairs will cut both ways, and help no one - and she's not afraid to calmly turn away and leave them to it. She'll regret it, she'll feel awful - but she won't show it and she won't back down or reconsider. And while she's soft-spoken and gentle, she's not weak - try to push her and you'll get a subtle show of force, with Aineth listening attentively and then doing what she wanted to do anyways, or simply waiting out any argument or goad. Aineth is strong and patient and endures. She's less distressed than her rider, less merciful in some ways - but Psyche needs an anchor, and so does everyone else, and Aineth is that very thing.

Reasoning: come on the idea of Psyche being matched with a giant fucking dragon who is also so delicate and pretty is perfect. I was considering a green for her but then I got this great mental image of Aineth and then everything else flowed. Aineth is from Aine, an Irish goddess of love, wealth, sovereignity and summer. There were a ton of love gods I could have chosen but uh her name was prettiest so there.

--------------------
Current Roster
Amaterasu, Anise Tatlin, Hao Asakura

Claims
Father, Yuuko Ichihara
PM
^
Isa
 Posted: Feb 8 2015, 12:45 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 24

Can I request either a dragon for Saix or Aya,,,
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll